All you need to know about plug and socket types when travelling abroad

How much do you really know about plug and socket types around the world? For those of you who haven’t travelled outside the country yet, you should know there are many different types of power points out there. So if your New Year’s resolution is relaxing on a remote island or skiing down the snowy slopes of Europe, this article is for you. Enjoy your reading!

Are you travelling outside Australia for the very first time? Good for you! Summer school holiday is a wonderful time to take your family on an unforgettable trip.

But before you leave, make sure you’ve checked your travel essentials. Besides sunscreen, sunglasses, ski or snowboard equipment, you should also be informed about the plug and socket types the countries you visit. This way, you can safely use any device like a laptop, phone, electric shaver or curling iron you take with you.

Do you need more information about power points safety? Call us at 1300452742 and talk to the experts today!

What is a power adapter and when do you need to use it?

power adapter

Usually, there are two important things to consider before safely plugging in your device: shape and voltage. In the first case, you will need to use a power adapter. As the name implies, adapters are designed to change the shape of the plug so that it fits into the socket. Acting like a small extension, the adapter does not typically affect the voltage or current. Without it, you simply can’t access the electricity.

Nowadays, given the wide variety of plug and socket types, most of the hotels do offer power adapters to their foreign guests. However, it is not always the case. If there are more visitors requesting one, you may need to wait longer in order to get one. Imagine how frustrating it can be to stay in front of the socket and not being able to use it.

What about power converters? 

power converters

When it comes to converters, the situation is slightly different as they deal with the voltage of electrical power sources. Some countries use 110-125 volts while others – 220-240 volts. Therefore, power converters can actually reduce the current flow of 220 volts down to 110 volts so devices can be used without self-destructing. Many modern appliances are able to switch from one to the other, but be sure you check what current is on before you use it.

Moreover, power is consumed in watts not volts, so you need to know how many watts the appliance requires. If it’s more than 50W, then you can use a high-power converter and less than 50W – a transformer converter. Since most travel adapters are usually made for short-term or occasional use only, you should be a little careful when purchasing one. For instance, your laptop or camera would require a good quality converter. Wherever you may be, the last thing you want is ruining your device, your pictures, or, even worse…your vacation.


In conclusion, remember these two names when packing for your next vacation. Both power adapters and converts can be a lifesaver for your electrical and electronic devices when travelling abroad.

Stay tuned to find out more about plug and socket types around the world in our next week’s blog post.

If you need any help with domestic electrical services, call Jaric Electrical at 1300 452 742  and get personalized advice and solutions for your home and business.

Until next time, safe travels for those of you heading to the international terminal!

Your friend and electrical expert,

John Ricca

Head Office 1300 452 742

64 McNeill Road
Kallangur QLD 4503
(07) 3910 2499
10 Tahoe Ct
Thornlands QLD 4164
(07) 3333 2425
6/95 Riverside Place
Morningside QLD 4170
(07) 3333 2627
Elanora (Gold Coast)
82 Silver Glade Drv
Elanora QLD 4221
(07) 5667 7266
18 Smith St
Capalaba QLD 4157
(07) 3333 2425
7 Dangar St
Belmont QLD 4153
(07) 3166 9355