Installing smoke alarms in your Queensland rental property
What you need to know before the government’s deadline
Queensland’s smoke alarm legislation for all rental properties is changing in an effort to provide a higher standard of safety. It’s important to note that your rental property must be compliant before the 1st of January 2022 – that’s not much time.
The new legislation for smoke alarms in Queensland rental properties states that smoke alarms must be:
- Installed in every bedroom of a home
- Powered by 240 volt or a 10 year lithium battery – 9v alarms will not be allowed
- Photoelectric alarms – which means that ionisation alarms (which your rental property most likely has installed) will not be allowed
- Interconnected so that if one smoke alarm sounds, they all do
- Compliant with Australian Standard AS3786:2014
The great news is that Jaric Electrical’s smoke alarm experts will be happy to help you make sure your rental property complies well before the deadline.
Specialists in smoke alarm installation for rental & investment properties
Property management is never straightforward. That’s why at Jaric we work hard to make sure your smoke alarm installation is hassle-free. We have extensive experience working with landlords and property managers with all aspects of electrical and air conditioning work.
We understand how busy life is for your tenants, so we won’t just ‘arrive’ on their doorstep unannounced (and cause you problems). Instead we’ll liaise with your tenants to find a time that works for them – and we’ll be there when we promise!
Our expert smoke alarm installers will treat your tenants with courtesy, and make sure that the entire process runs smoothly for everyone. Once the job is complete, they’ll ensure all the required paperwork is squared away for your records.
To make sure your rental property is compliant before the smoke alarms deadline, call Jaric Electrical on 1300 452 742 or contact us online.
Why are photoelectric smoke alarms becoming mandatory?
Photoelectric smoke alarms detect visible combustion particles (such as smoke) using a photo cell and light beam. The alarm is triggered when smoke particles enter the test chamber and scatter some of the light beam.
They’re good at detecting smoky and smouldering fires – a common type of house fire. Dust or insects can sometimes cause a false alarm, so you should clean your photoelectric smoke alarm from time to time.
Photoelectric smoke alarms offer many benefits. They:
- Are good for smouldering fire and dense smoke
- Aren’t as prone to cooking nuisance alarms
- Contain no radioactive material
- Are suitable for general household use.
When your home is protected by photoelectric smoke alarms, in the unfortunate event of a fire you’ll be alerted early, so that you and your family can escape safely.
Contact Jaric Electrical for professional smoke alarm services
To ensure your rental property’s smoke alarms meet your responsibilities as a property manager or landlord, contact Jaric Electrical.
Our expert electricians will:
- Assess your current smoke alarm setup
- Test your existing smoke alarms
- Advise you if any upgrade is needed, and
- Install new photoelectric smoke alarms as required
For an obligation-free quote call Jaric Electrical on 1300 452 742 or get in touch with us online and one of our qualified technicians will be happy to help you.