How to save money and energy with a home energy audit
How much do you know about a home energy audit? Nowadays, with electricity prices on the rise, homeowners are looking for effective ways to reduce the amount of energy they use each day. And energy audits are just one of them. So, find out why this may be just the right solution to your problems in this blog article.
Whether it’s smart appliances, LED lights or reverse-cycle air conditioners, they all have the same thing in common: energy efficiency. For a better understanding of our daily energy usage, home audits have gained some popularity lately as a way to encourage energy efficiency practices in the residential sector.
Do you want to find out more information on how you can conduct a home energy audit? Call us at 1300452742 and talk to the experts today!
What is a home energy audit?
Also known as an ‘energy assessment’, an energy audit is basically a process that helps you identify where your home is losing energy. Based on the results, you will know exactly what steps to take in order to improve energy efficiency at home.
In general, there are three kinds of energy assessment as specified in the Australian standards:
- Type 1 or Level 1 Energy Audit is a basic energy audit with lower technical accuracy but accurate enough for most households.
- Type 2 or Level 2 Energy Audit is a more detailed energy audit with good overall accuracy. This typically includes a detailed on-site inspection of all energy using equipment as well as a more detailed follow-up report.
- Type 3 or Level 3 Energy Audit is a high accuracy energy audit involving detailed investigations and sub-system monitoring. But bear in mind it can be more time consuming and costly. Of course, type 3 is only needed where specific, more complex, issues exist.
How can a home energy audit help you save money on your energy bill?
As the name implies, a home energy audit is designed to get homeowners to achieve energy efficiency while cutting their bills. These, however, are not the only reasons why you should get a professional audit. Energy audits can reveal a lot of things you probably didn’t know about your domestic energy usage such as:
- Old and inefficient appliances and that are drawing more power than necessary.
- High consuming electrical appliances in need of repair.
- Appliances with a ‘standby’ mode that are still using energy in this mode.
- Other devices which are wasting energy, no matter the reasons
Depending on these findings, a qualified electrician can advise you on the best method, temperature, mode or time to use an appliance.
When it comes to home energy audit, you can either do it yourself or hire someone for a more professional approach. This way, you will be able to save money and energy while also reducing your carbon footprint.
No matter your choice, remember that you will also set a standard for your family and decide what steps to take in the future for responsible energy consumption.
If you need any further assistance with a home energy audit, call Jaric Electrical at 1300 452 742 today.
Until next time, make your home the most energy-efficient-place to live!
Your friend and electrical expert,