Electrical safety at home is a major responsibility for parents all over the world. Therefore, we always look for all possible ways to protect our children. But what is the best approach to teach them about electrical safety? Find out how to raise awareness of domestic electrical hazards in this week’s blog!
Understanding electrical safety at home
It’s a fact: one of a parent’s highest priorities is to keep their children safe. One way to do this is by informing, demonstrating and setting a personal example of how to deal with electricity. Since children have a natural curiosity about the world around them, we should be careful with them not getting hurt. So, prevent any incidents from happening and take an active role in educating them about potential electricity risks.
Educate rather than setting strict rules at the very beginning
They say that sometimes, rules are made to be broken. When it comes to electricity, it’s breaking them once is enough for fatal accidents to happen. In order to avoid them, it’s necessary to inform and educate your children about the electrical hazards.
Alternatively, you can find plenty of children’s books explaining how different things work, so visit your local library or bookstore. Plus, there is also lots of useful information online including home safety topics talking to children in particular about electricity.
Explain to your kids how electricity works
Remember knowledge is power! Technically, electricity makes our life much easier with the help of the home appliances we use on a daily basis. You should take the time to explain to your children how electricity works, then teach them to respect it properly. As long as they correctly apply some basic principles, they will also learn to keep themselves safe. Here are some of the most common electrical terms your kids can learn about.
You can also include utility emergency numbers and instruct children how to call for help in case of an emergency.
Be an example to your children when it comes to electrical safety at home!
Ultimately, the best form of education is by being a role model yourself. Follow safety principles and have a correct behaviour when dealing with electricity so you can pass it further.
Electrical safety tips to protect your children
- While children are very small, put child-proof covers on all electrical outlets. Keep all the cords of different appliances out of reach of toddlers.
- Avoid keeping electronic items (such as a hair dryer or a mobile phone) plugged in and switched on while you are away. Small children tend to put these things in their mouth.
- Keep drinks away from electrical appliances as water and electricity NEVER MIX!
- Watch for overloads! If children play and plug in too many electrical devices into one outlet, an overload may occur.
- Remember extension cords are a serious tripping hazard, especially for little ones, when not set up properly!
- Teach your children to hold the plug and not the cord when unplugging something, in order to avoid potential damages.
- Install safety switches or residual current devices, which cut the power immediately in an emergency.
In conclusion, it’s never too soon to learn about electrical safety at home. Start teaching your children at an early age about electrical safety.
If you need any electrical services, call your local team at Jaric Electrical at 1300 452 742 and get friendly advice from our professionals.
Until next time, keep your children electrically safe!
Your friend and electrical expert,